Spring Care Tips for Outdoor Swing Sets
The weather is getting warmer and children are ready to spend more time playing outside on their Rainbow Play Systems swing set! Here are swing set care tips to ensure your outdoor play set is safe and sustains a longer life. Outdoor swing sets are just like any wooden outdoor furniture or decking structure – they need to be cared for and maintained.
To maintain the safety and good condition of your outdoor swing sets and wooden swing sets, by performing the following list of care tips at the beginning of each season and twice each month:
- Coat your wooden play set with sealant or preservative annually to sustain the life of your play set. Be sure to select a non-toxic/child safe sealant.
- Clean tarps & vinyl dipped parts with soap & water.
- Reinstall swing seats, tarps, flags, and other plastic components which may have been removed for the winter.
- Check and tighten all nuts and bolts as needed, but do not over tighten causing the wood to crack.
- Check all wood members for deterioration and splinters. Spot sand any areas that are checking or splintering.
- Check all coverings on bolts, sharp edges and corners.
- Hardware used on swinging elements should be checked at least twice a month to ensure proper fastening.
- Check all moving parts including swing seats, ropes, and chains for wear, rust, or other deterioration and replace as needed.
- Check swing hangers, tire swivel, S-Hooks, eyebolts, and spring clips for wear and replace or tighten as needed.
- Check all metal parts for rust. If needed, sand and repaint using a nonlead-based paint.
- Lubricate all metallic moving parts and grease Tire Swivel monthly during the usage period.
- Check entire Structure and Swing Beam to ensure they are level, if not adjust Structure and/or Swing Beam back to level.
- Rake and check depth of loose fill protective surfacing materials to prevent compaction and to maintain appropriate depth.
- Remember to replace any deteriorating parts.
If you follow these care tips, your wooden swing set will stay safe and have a longer healthier life!
- Doug Drake